Friday 5 November 2010

Wedding Fairs and Wedding Photographers: an observation

After a number of conversations with couples and photographers alike i thought i would post a few thoughts and observations about wedding fairs from the perspective of a wedding photographer.

Firstly, in my humble opinion there are far too many wedding fairs. The problem with this is that due to massive choice facing couples, there is a huge drop in footfall as each event. Many of my couples can't be bothered to check them out as there seems to be 3 or 4 every weekend! I am sure this never used to be the case and as they were less in number it made them more attractive/important for brides to make the effort to go.

After exhibiting at a number of wedding fairs this autumn, i have noticed a couple of things. Every wedding fair is so over saturated with wedding photographers.

I mean where there used to be just one or two there are 4 or more! I find this difficult to understand when there are never three of four hair dressers, car companies, toast masters etc. its just plain crazy and must be purely down to economics as far as the promoters of such fairs are concerned. It is certainly diluting things to such an extent for the couples and photographers alike, i have to ask what is the point of investing money and precious family time in attending in most case.

A number of couples have pointed to the crazy number of photographers present at fairs as being a turn off and that due to the over saturation they didn't really check out any photographer in detail on the day.

A regular comment is that photographers are "two to a penny" these days and in the short and long run this is doing massive harm to our profession.

For the record, i generally only attend wedding fairs at selected venues who i have been privileged to work closely with over a number of years. Each wedding season i turn down far more offers to attend fairs than i take up.

Even so, you can see me at a few select fairs from January through to the end of March and i look forward to speaking to as many couples as possible.

As an aside here is my old post about choosing a wedding photographer.

6 comments:

  1. Too right, Peter. Way too many "fayres" now, often in less-than-desirable venues with brides who expect everything for very little. They seem to be catering for a market in a lower position than a couple of years ago.

    We are curtailing our more expensive fairs for next year. They simply aren't paying for themselves any more, while our internet enquiries and referrals are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Bride I only attended two fairs and didn't find them useful. I didn't find any suppliers from either one. We already had our photographer (you) booked, one of the first things we did and to me one of the most important things.

    As a photographer I attended my first wedding fair last weekend and I spent most of my time talking to other exhibitors. The fair was very poorly attended and like you say there were 5 photographers including me and only 1 of other suppliers. There are too many going on and I only attended this one as it's my local hotel and they asked me. There also doesn't seem to be any quality check on who exhibits.

    I too am going to stick to my internet advertising and word of mouth for the time being. It's working for me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,

    I no longer attend wedding fairs. Julia (JDW Weddings) and I organised one a few years ago, a truly interactive affair with glorious weather and the feel of an old fashioned fete about it. Oh, but the effort! Getting the detail right stole six precious weeks from my work schedule and to be honest, the exhibitors, bless them, hadn't a clue of the graft and determination that went into carrying it off successfully. As pros in the wedding industry, we ran it as a non-profit making event too - just wanted to re-create the feeling of the fairs of the early days when as you say, everyone achieved a real business boost.

    The wedding industry has in my opinion been it's own worst enemy and the fickle, stressed out symptoms often exhibited by Brides-to-Be sadden and frustrate me. As a veteran of over twenty years of working with brides, I put it down to the our industry's media and its focus upon the "perfect experience" fantasy that has been peddled for so long. It's no longer the case that simply the day itself has to be perfect, so too the run up to the day and the run up to the run up to the day, if you see what I mean.

    As for over subscription to the various wedding services and specialities, well, that's as rife in terms of bridal shops (far too many competing for a diminishing number of brides)as I know it to be with photographers. To put this into perspective, a well established venue in our area told me that it had over 120 photographers on it's books, though of course, like page 1 of Google, only a few tried and tested were ever recommended on to Brides.

    As an outsider, I would hazard a guess that digital photography leading to many people just "giving it a go", coupled with people's increasing tendency to haggle and compare prices ad infinitum, have much to answer for.

    Wedding fair organisers are innundated with requests from photographers (a far greater proportion than any other field apprently) and so while limiting the number at fairs (if they value the reputation of the event) this discipline will, for the time being at least, always seem to overwhelm everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter.

    I agree with you 100% mostly a comprehensive waste of time for all involved. Like you, we now restrict our attendance at these types of Fayres only to assisting venues were we are similarly privileged to work.

    The main problem in my eyes is very clear. A young lady planning her wedding nowadays has extensive use to the Internet is able to do significant research from the comfort of her own home. Dare I say, even more likely from the comfort of her employer’s office? Typically most couples have made significant research of the main elements, Photographer, Caterer, Marquee and much more and probably make a decision based around this. However, once upon a time a couple would have had to take advantage of wedding fayres as being the only resource available to them. In support of them, once upon a time, I do believe they were far better for many reasons than they are now.

    As you know my own business is catering and Marquees. I think we all agree that we like to work with our own "Favourite" photographer, caterer whatever, and essentially work well together in a team. What goes around comes around, we recommend you, and you do the same for us. Moreover this does often put a package, a team of people to a client who work well together and achieve the highest possible outcome. In short a class event from every angle. I'm sure you know what I mean.

    Summing up, from my own perspective in terms of sourcing clients, it is time and time again (for far to many reasons to go in to here) a comprehensive waste of time for all involved. Very happy to support venues who support us, but in the main a complete waste of time.

    I'm sure you know what I mean.

    Regards.

    Tony Brewin.
    M.D. Super Event Limited.
    www.superevent.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite agree, Peter. Far too many fayres nowadays. I think there is more money to be made organising wedding fayres than actually providing a service to couples. As you are aware, I am a videographer and like you have to compete with the countless many keen amateurs who think it is just a question of pointing a camera in the right direction.

    I find I need to do a few fayres, as many brides do not think of video or leave it to the last minute if there is any money to spare.

    I shall certainly reduce the number of fayres we do, relying on other forms of advertising and recommendation, especially from good people such as yourself. It was certainly enjoyable working together at Wiston this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wedding fairs ?? Unless done selectively with venues and vendors you work with and where each compliments each other in providing a high quality service and neither vendor sector is saturated with multiple vendors, then fine. From what I've seen lately I'd rather pitch up at a boot fair than a wedding one. There organisers have only one goal and thats to fill the space with vendors to make money. Thankfully there is the internet and wom.

    ReplyDelete